Victorian Ceramics offers authentic reproductions of the tiles originally designed by William Morris, William De Morgan and Philip Webb.
For more information on each of these artists, please click on the links below.
Philip Speakman Webb (1831-1915) was born in Oxford. He was a Pre-Raphaelite architect and designer and sometimes referred to as the ‘father of Arts and Crafts architecture’. He studied at Aynho in Northamptonshire and was then articled to builder-architects in Wolverhampton and Reading. Later he moved to London where he eventually became a junior assistant to G. E. Street. In 1859 Morris commissioned Webb to design his home the ‘Red House’. As part of this project he designed six bird tile designs which can be found within the tile section of this website. In 1861 he became a founder member of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. for whom he helped design church furnishings, embroideries and drawings for printed textiles.