Philip Webb (1831-1915)

Victorian Tiles by Victorian Ceramics

 

 

 

Victorian Ceramics is proud to offer faithful reproductions of the tiles originally designed by WIlliam Morris, William De Morgan and Philip Webb.

William Morris, William De Morgan and Philip Webb were three of the most innovative and prolific designers of the late nineteenth century.

For more information on each of these artists, please click on the links below.

William Morris
William Morris
WIlliam Morris (1834 – 1896)
William Morris was the son of a successful businessman, born on 24th March 1834 in Walthamstow a small village to the east of London. He was educated at Marlborough and Exeter College, Oxford. Later he formed, Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co..
more...
 
William De Morgan
William De Morgan
William De Morgan (1839 – 1917)
William De Morgan was one of the most famous designers of tiles from the Arts and Crafts Movement, of which he was a founder member. His distinctive style and deep, intense glazes are instantly recognisable.
more...
 
Philip Webb
Philip Webb
Philip Webb (1831 – 1915)
In 1854 Philip Webb met William Morris and in 1861 became a founder member of  Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.
more...



Victorian Ceramics
2 Meadow Suite
Telford
Shropshire TF2 9QX
UK

t: +44 (0) 1746 710534
e: david@victorianceramics.com
Visitors by appointment only

The Tile Association

TEXT ONLY | TERMS | ACCESSIBILITY | LINKS | SITE MAP

Website designed by goodhand.co.uk

 

 

 

 

 

Philip Webb

Philip Speakman Webb (1831-1915) was born in Oxford. He was a Pre-Raphaelite architect and designer and sometimes referred to as the 'father of Arts and Crafts architecture'. He studied at Aynho in Northamptonshire and was then articled to builder-architects in Wolverhampton and Reading. Later he moved to London where he eventually became a junior assistant to G. E. Street. In 1859 Morris commissioned Webb to design his home the ‘Red House’. As part of this project he designed six bird tile designs which can be found within the tile section of this website. In 1861 he became a founder member of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. for whom he helped design church furnishings, embroideries and drawings for printed textiles.